Friday, January 18, 2019

A January Weekend Outside

It was appropriate for our family that the first weekend of the new year was warm and gorgeous, so we got to spend the day outside (only our favorite thing). We had a very busy go, go, go weekend. Saturday morning marked the start of Harrison's winter acting class. We started the day with donuts, made our rounds through the East Village (and one of our favorite stores ever, Raygun), ate lunch at Smokey Row, played at Raccoon River Park, walked around the lake (and did a little exploring on the ice), and went to my sister's birthday party. I would like to say that Sunday was more relaxing for us, but instead we finished building the shelving unit in the basement, baked and cooked for our last family Christmas, and attended that Christmas. Luckily, the gorgeous weather kept me motivated and going the entire time!

Donut Hut is our favorite place for donuts. I figured a little sugar for our busy day was needed.

Harrison was elated to begin his creative acting class at the Des Moines Playhouse. Hubs was very involved in theater throughout high school and is anxious to see if Harrison enjoys it just as much. If this isn't his "thing," we'll be trying something else because this kid definitely needs a creative outlet for his big personality!

We spent some time at Raygun to pick out my sister's birthday gift. I love walking around Des Moines' East Village area and popping into the locally owned shops on beautiful, sunny days.

We couldn't decide on what to get for lunch, but I knew I wanted/needed coffee. Smokey Row fit the bill for all of us. We treated the minis to a Shirley Temple and a Roy Rogers (I kept the Snicker Bar Latte to myself). The minis had a Shirley Temple when we were in Tennessee two years ago, but this was their first time trying a Roy Rogers. They enjoyed them both, along with their lunches.
Harrison chose the 'Uh-Oh Spaghetti O's' off the menu. He's had Spaghetti-O's less than a handful of times in his life and was thrilled with his lunch choice. For the rest of the day he stated how his birthday lunch was going to be Spaghetti-O's. 

Coffee and the beach, even though it was too cold to be in the water. It felt wonderful just to soak up the sun while the minis played on the playground.

Our agreed upon time frame was 30 minutes at the playground and then our hike. The trail was busy and muddy. We only made it about halfway around the trail before we had to stop, play on the ice a little bit, and then head back to the car because we had a few must-run errands before the birthday party. I've been happier this winter because the weather has been cooperative to allow us decent outdoor time. I have yet to feel cooped up or the winter blues.

Back of the leg mud splatters. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be much worse.

Christopher's pizza and cake for Aunt Jenny's birthday.

This was my purse as we walked out of my sister's party. Totally normal to have a Bitty Baby, random articles of clothing, and leftovers sticking out of a mom's purse....

Saturday was such a busy day that I'd like to say we used Sunday to rest.....but it's us, so we didn't. We did have a morning at home and the minis relaxed while Hubs and I finished a new shelving system. I also threw together a vegetarian taco chili and a lemon cake. Sunday afternoon was spent at our fifth and final Christmas celebration. It was a very laid back gathering, which was much appreciated. By this point the minis had been home for 17 days and the craze from Christmas had caught up with me.

The lemon cake was totally made with a box mix and the frosting from a can. It was still amazing!